This detailed content helps Democracy Initiative grasp the width, breadth, capabilities, benefits and value of our donation proposal. It also demonstrates the expertise and effort and foresight our nonprofit has expended over the past 3 years researching, assessing, scoping, planning and designing other features and workflows.
This content reads like a formal business requirements project plan. It identifies ordered steps, nuances, insights, considerations and suggestions.
Step by Step Details (23):
- Trusted social movement groups are selected and invited by Democracy Initiative to sign a group letter:
Democracy Initiative determines goals or legislative challenges related to all mainstream social movement groups (voting rights groups, racial rights groups, women’s rights groups, LGBTQA rights groups, climate change groups, environmental protection groups, common-sense gun law groups, immigration rights groups, etc.)
Perhaps a common “big picture” goal is demanding minimum federal voting requirements to ensure a place at the table for all current and future voters, regardless of a voter’s party affiliation, the current White House administration, the current balance of power in the house or senate or the current political leadership of any state. This bipartisan objective will resonate with all voters if communicated with easy-to-understand examples that affect all voters, for all possible futures. Or maybe the John Lewis Voting Right Act? Or?
The topic (or multiple topics) chosen by Democracy Initiative is key to building a coalition of millions of social movement supporters. The primary objective is to build an initial network that will constantly grow to become a voting bloc too large to ignore (big picture stuff). Consideration should also be given to attracting progressive thinking participants.
We also suggest utilizing “variant” content (detailed below) pertinent to each type of participating social movement group. This content should passionately and logically resonate with their followers to maximize participation.
- This second step is important as it draws upon an existing pool of literally tens of millions of passionate social movement group followers. In addition to Democracy Initiative inviting their existing partners, Democracy Initiative performs research to create a spreadsheet list of social movement groups. The list will include each group’s name, domain website, the contact information of key leaders and the total combined follower count on their social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. Wikipedia List of Social Movements is a good place to start.
Care in creating this invitation list is important to ensure poor or suspect or fraudulent organizations are not mistakenly invited. Charity Navigator is a good source to validate organizations invited. Sort the vetted list by total social media follower count (most to least.) Then start from the top and invite each organization to participate. Of course, important organizations such as the ACLU or other friendlies should be included on the invite list regardless of the size of their social media following. Also, consideration of other nonprofits, charities and GMOs that support social movements should be researched to maximize participation.
- Democracy Initiative will draft a letter using MS Office Word. Our nonprofit can provide a WORD-based template for Democracy Initiative to use. The 8.5” x 11” sized letter is limited to six pages of content (3 pages of double-sided print) which complies with the weight restriction of first-class USPS letter-sized mail. The letter is comprised of two “parts”:
Part One (Cover Page Content):
- A single cover page signed by each follower is required. This content will state the follower’s support of the group letter enclosed (part two) and inform the recipient of their commitment to engage in further social justice activities if demands are ignored, obstructed or pushed back.
- This page will also contain a single recipient’s title, name and address and return address, both of which appear in a dual #10 window envelope.
- Variants of cover letters (a separate cover letter for each participating social movement group) will be supported. Followers will be automatically provided with the variant-specific to the social movement group link they click. Also note that since this platform provides secondary social justice activities that generate increasing levels of consequences (which include harsh recall petitions (with signing) or large class-action lawsuits), the follower’s statement to perform punitive action is real.
- A footer appears on this page which details that the signer instigated this letter, paid for all costs related to this letter and has been verified as being human using reCAPTCHA v3, surname and address verified (using AVS which also matches their GPS address location), e-mail address verified and mobile telephone number verified. The footer will also state the signer was provided with a digitally signed SSL certificate timeserver stamped copy of this letter proving such with a tracking ID (which all facts are supported by secondary system logs.)
Part Two (Group Letter Content):
- Create up to five pages of content related to the common challenges and demands that all participating groups will sign.
- Note the five pages are inclusive of the space required that identify the participating groups signing the letter and all required people (including their titles) that receive the letter, plus optional and rotating recipients.
- Recipients of the letter must now be determined. We have provided several interesting options:
- Rotating Recipients: When a letter is signed, the recipient is rotated with other recipients. This means that if a million participants sign the letter and 100 rotating recipients are defined, each recipient will receive 10,000 letters (1,000,000 / 100)
- Optional Recipients: When a letter is signed, additional optional recipients may be selected by the follower.
- Mandatory Recipients: These recipients will always receive the letter.
- Note Rotating, Optional and Mandatory recipient options may be combined as desired.
- For each recipient, their full name, formal title and verified legislative mailing address are required.
- Qualification filtering options may be used which provide a restriction where the signer must reside in the legislator’s region of representation.
- An out-of-country variant (of the signer) is supported. Also, country-based restrictions (based upon the signer’s GPS location or mailing address) are supported. Exceptions to out-of-country rules are provided (military-based out-of-country participants, retiree’s living out of the country, etc.)
- For this example, assume that four (4) only key legislative recipients (the house and senate majority and minority leaders) will receive this letter. Assume qualification filtering and state/country restrictions are not imposed but variants pertinent to each social movement group are utilized (to maximize the participation of each social movement group’s followers.)
- Democracy Initiative will now invite organizations to participate based upon the sorted order of movement followers. Inform the groups of the benefits they will gain (see #11 below), review both parts of the draft letter (of which their variant is important to them), collect their feedback, change requests and obtain their initial commitment to participate.
- Upon achieving 50 or 100+ groups to participate, Democracy Initiative will then finalize the two parts of the letter and variants. Adjust the content based upon prior feedback and provide the participating groups with finalized content specific to their interests (variant.) Obtain their final changes (if any) and their formal written commitment to participate.
- Next, Democracy Initiative provides our nonprofit with the 6 pages of letter content (and variants), recipient details and contact information of the participating groups. We will technically reformat (if required) the spacing of the content to ensure variable merging of recipient and sender variables and footer content. We will also define a data table used to send status notifications to each participating social movement group.
- Signers will be provided options to disclose their full name or their first name with only the 1st character of their last name (privacy option.)
- Return address options now need to be determined. Our suggestion is to use a return address “in care of Democracy Initiative” which allows Democracy Initiative to track delivery refusals and report such to the press if the legislative recipient refuses delivery of the letter. This “in care of” suggestion respects the signer’s privacy by preventing their address from appearing in the return address envelope window. Also, each letter will contain a unique alphanumeric Tracking ID which is used to monitor the delivery status or flag the letter as being ignored or refused. Flagged ignores or refusals will trigger notifications to the sender, Democracy Initiative and social movement groups. For example, if a politician refuses delivery of a letter (or a batch of delivered letters), a letter (or the entire batch) can be flagged as “Delivery Refused”. This triggers notifications to each signee, Democracy Initiative, the social movement groups affected and the free press. Email templates are used to provide notifications and can include content to invite the signee or social movement groups to participate in other social justice activities that target the legislator due to their delivery refusal, of which each further activity is reported to the free press.
- Our nonprofit will then provide Democracy Initiative with PDF proofs of each recipient letter (four letters in this example) plus all variants of the letter. Recipient and sender information will correctly appear in a dual windowed #10 envelope. To confirm this, just print the PDF, fold and place the letter in an envelope.) Our nonprofit will also confirm weight delivery restrictions to ensure the cost of first-class USPS delivery is 55 cents. The PDF proof of cover letter content will be signed with an SSL digital signing certificate with footer content as previously detailed.
- Our nonprofit will now generate unique links for each participating group to leverage standardized social media “meta-tags” which all major social media platforms support. These definitions result in social media posts (by simply posting a link) displaying a unique dual-branded customized graphic pertinent to both Democracy Initiative and each participating group. Text content will be graphic-based to communicate a consistent message. Our graphics designer will work with Democracy Initiative to create an approved set of images. This process results in a dual-branded message that is attention-grabbing and professional while providing a consistent message across all participating social movement groups.
Immediate Benefits to Participating Social Movement Groups
- Each unique link enables the platform to associate a social movement follower to Democracy Initiative and the social movement group that generated the interaction.
- Due to this association, both Democracy Initiative and each social movement group will now have the ability to directly communicate with each follower. Using this platform, Democracy Initiative and social movement groups may now invite followers (now members) to volunteer, participate in surveys, discussion groups, etc. Also, each participating group may now leverage workgroup hubs, utilize workflows to vet and onboard volunteers, etc.
- A major immediate benefit to Democracy Initiative and each social movement group is that all social justice activities provide built-in donation and fundraising processes. By participating, social movement groups can raise substantial funds they desperately need.
- Democracy Initiative now defines a “batch pool size” which is used to “pool” batches of physically printed letters, grouped by recipient mailing address. When a batch of sorted letters is ready, first-class postage metered letters will be dropped off at a USPS postal sorting location. When this occurs, Democracy Initiative and participating groups will be notified. Also, since the platform provides verified free press journalists with a platform journalist account, based upon their opt-in focus settings (which are pertinent to their reporting focus), they will automatically receive notifications of this action. However, Democracy Initiative and each group will also be notified (to inform their preferred press journalists) when to camp out to report delivery of batches of hundreds of thousands of letters.
- Before launching, Democracy Initiative will perform research (create a list) to give major social media influencers (such as Byron James with 50 million Instagram followers) and friendly corporations a heads up requesting their participation in the pending launch, using a social media link and graphic specific to Democracy Initiative only. Also giving the heads up to a many friendly political leaders should be considered.
- Before launching, our nonprofit will customize load balancing to prepare for the onslaught of activity generated by Democracy Initiative, participating social movement groups and the free press. This platform supports unlimited subdomains, of which each load-balanced subdomain cluster supports 32 dedicated servers. Since clustering will provide state-based subdomains, the platform will support 1,920,000 simultaneous users per second based upon 50% utilization. During the launch, our nonprofit will constantly monitor each cluster load and real-time adjust load balancing by increasing virtual machine CPUs, spinning up additional dedicated virtual servers, etc.
- This massive social justice activity is now ready to launch. Democracy Initiative notifies our nonprofit of the launch date. We will notify all participating groups (via an e-mail template approved by Democracy Initiative) to immediately post a link to all of their social media platforms, with a hashtag approved by Democracy Initiative. When social movements post their unique link to their various social media platforms, due to the pre-defined social media meta-tag definitions, a dual-branded image with a common message will “magically” appear in the post. As well, the unique #hashtag approved by Democracy Initiative will trend (the free press monitors trending #hashtags.) The notification to each participating group will also request them to notify their favored press journalist to report this action since this effort will be the world’s largest mass-based letter campaign pressuring politicians ever.
- Tens of millions of social movement followers will be notified (by a group they follow) when their social movement group posts their unique link. When followers click on the graphic (which was designed to be attention-grabbing), they will be guided through a streamlined process to perform the signing action generating a first-class USPS letter delivered to recipient targets.
- Followers will firstly be thanked for their participation and be provided steps to complete the process. Upon clicking next, the platform leads participants through a one-time registration process to become verified platform members. Existing platform members will simply log on. The registration process ID verifies their surname and mailing address using a technology called AVS (Address Verification Service), a standard supported by Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express in the USA, Canada and the UK. Note the platform also performs yet another address verification to ensure that each member’s registration address and AVS address match their GPS location (3 way verified.) Of course, each participant’s e-mail address and mobile telephone number are verified. By verifying members in this manner, this process eliminates bots, fakers and nefarious users to best-case ensure letters generated by social media followers are from real people. Note the platform also prevents Russia, Iran and China from even connecting to the platform using country-wide blocking. The platform also (real-time) blocks hackers and bots from connecting to the platform even if using VPNs or anonymizers due to the platform’s subscription to Cisco Enterprise real-time firewall blocking technology.
- When social movement followers complete their registration process, they experience the letter signing process. Followers will preview the letter content, be prompted to sign the letter and remit payment for the physical letters generated. The payment covers the raw cost of the three pages of 8.5” x 11” paper; window envelope, six pages of printing, assembly cost, the first-class USPS mailing cost and letter drop off to a postal sorting location. The cost also includes raw payment processing fees. Note that letters sent to legislative recipients are physically printed in Delaware to reduce USPS delivery time.
- The raw cost of generating each letter is 25 cents for paper, envelope, printing, letter assembly, sorting and drop off to a postal sorting location. For each recipient letter, 55 cents for USPS first-class delivery is required, plus 30 cents for the mandatory PayPal transaction fee (for all letters), plus a PayPal 3.7% fee of the total transaction cost which excludes the PayPal mandatory 30 cent fee per transaction cost. Therefore, the total cost for a follower to send four first-class delivered letters is USD 3.61 (median based price as costs vary depending upon volume generated). Note we have collaborated with a large printing company with printing facilities offices across the USA, Canada and other countries. All costs stated in this content are quote-based but subject to change due to standard quote expiry dates. Systems integration between our platform and the printer ensures data transport, print quality, print technology formatting, bi-directional communication confirmations, integrated billing and first-class postage metering are secure, private and fail-safe.
- <b>Democracy Initiative may choose to increase the USD 3.61 raw cost paid by a follower or prompt for an optional donation or a required donation (inclusive or not to the markup.)</b> For this example, assume the all-inclusive cost per signee is USD 5.00 to sign the four (4) letters (generating USD 1.33 of funding per signee.) If three million followers of all participating groups sign the letter, this raises almost 4 million net dollars to Democracy Initiative. As a suggestion to attract the participation of social movement groups, Democracy Initiative could share the upcharge proceeds using a 50/50 split based upon completed activity counts instigated by each social movement group. Note the platform will provide audit logs of all e/c transactions and provide a report detailing each participating organization’s “take” based upon whatever sharing scheme is determined. Regardless of how the funds have been agreed to be disbursed (shared); our nonprofit will wire transfer OR EFT direct deposit 100% of the net funds to Democracy Initiative weekly or twice per month.
- The e-commerce transaction (of followers signing the letter) utilizes PayPal’s most secure form of payment (an advanced server-to-server integration process.) No credit card number information is received by the platform (PayPal hosts the c/c interface.) A PayPal account is not required; a follower can select their credit card type instead. By using PayPal’s most advanced form of payment processing with their gateway interface, liability concerns rest solely on PayPal’s shoulders. Also, note that the payment process integrates AVS (Address Verification System) as previously detailed.
- When a follower completes this process, Democracy Initiative and each social movement group can now directly connect and communicate with verified “real” members.
- Participants receive a digitally signed SSL certificate PDF of each letter. Certificate signing is time-server date/time stamped (if a PDF is altered, the verification certificate is rendered invalid.) A copy of each signed letter is retained offline (for audit trail.) Recap reports (per participating group) with audit trail will be provided to Democracy Initiative as proof of participation to be used to calculate each group’s share of profit contribution.